These days, the suited man looks naked without a tie bar – and amateurish if he doesn’t observe these five rules to look.
- Always the bar, never the pin. Unless you want a perforated tie collection.
- It should not only clip together the two ends of the tie, but also secure them to the shirt’s placket.
- Position the tie bar between the third and fourth buttons of the shirt. Any lower will obscure it behind your jacket; any higher looks peculiar.
- The bar should never extend across more than three quarters of the tie’s breadth. If you’ve acquired a super-skinny tie you need to downsize your clip. No excuses.
- Avoid bling. The bar should enhance not distract (and if it’s vintage, even better).